Where Can A Physiologist Work In Nigeria? This question had been a concern for many years in the giant of Africa for students seeking admission into some of the universities.
Physiology from Ancient Greek (physis), meaning ‘nature, origin’, and (logia), meaning ‘study of) is the scientific study of mechanisms and functions in a living system.
Introduction to where can a physiologist work in Nigeria
According to the classes of organisms, the physiology field is divided into
- Medical physiology
- Animal physiology
- Plant physiology
- Cell physiology
- Comparative physiology
Medical physiology is a field of science in which we study the various systems of the body from a molecular level through integrated functioning as it relates to the whole being.
In other words, what is understood about cellular metabolism in any kind of plant or animal can be extrapolated to human physiology?
Animal physiology is the scientific study of the life-supporting properties, functions, and processes of animals or their parts.
It would interest you to know the salaries of physiologists in different countries of the world
The discipline covers key homeostatic processes, such as the regulation of temperature, blood flow, and hormones.
The field of plant physiology includes the study of all the internal activities of plants—those chemical and physical processes associated with life as they occur in plants. This includes study at many levels of scale of size and time
Cell physiology is the biological study of the activities that take place in a cell to keep it alive. The term physiology refers to normal functions in a living organism. Animal cells, plant cells, and microorganism cells show similarities in their functions even though they vary in structure.
Comparative physiology is a sub-discipline of physiology that studies and exploits the diversity of functional characteristics of various kinds of organisms. It is closely related to evolutionary physiology and environmental physiology
Where can a physiologist work in Nigeria?
This is based on the physiology field an individual chooses as such in every field there are limitless opportunities.
Typical employers physiology graduates
Below is the list of major scientific employers of physiology graduates in Nigeria:
- Nigeria Red Cross
- Research centers and academic institutions in Nigeria
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in Nigeria
- The ministry of health – specialist areas include cardiac sciences, audiology, neurophysiology, critical care science, respiratory physiology, sleep physiology, and gastrointestinal (GI) physiology
- Private sector hospitals, medical centers, and healthcare organizations
The Nigerian armed forces also employ clinical physiologists. Further employment opportunities are found with scientific publishers, educational settings such as universities or colleges
Non-scientific employers include:
- Digital companies
- Management consultancies
- Law and accountancy firms
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Distribution firms.
Top firms to consider on where can a physiologist work in Nigeria
- Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN)
- Animal Production, Fisheries and Oceanography Research Institutes
- Arable Crops Research Institutes
- Bridge Gap Consults Limited
- Brightfield Medical Diagnostics
- Center for Energy Research and Development
- Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, Ibadan
- Delta State University of Science and Technology, Ozoro
- Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
- Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN)
- Fadama 111 project
- Farmyad Enterprises
- Federal Institute of Industrial Research (FIIRO), Oshodi, Lagos
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture
- Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST)
- Federal Ministry of Water Resources
- Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN), Ibadan
- Forestry, Horticulture and Tree Crops Research Institutes
- Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training
- Institute of Agricultural Research & Extension Services, ABU, Zaria
- Institute of Archaeology and Museum Studies
- Institute of Child Health
- Institute of Human Virology
- Institute of Operations Research of Nigeria (INFORN)
- Lagos Executive Cardiovascular Clinic (LECC)
- Lake Chad Research Institute (LCRI)
- Madonna University
- Medical Research Institutes in Nigeria
- Medigold Electro Medical Equipment Company
- National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)
- National Agricultural Extension Research and Liaison Services (AERLS)
- National Animal Production Research Institute, Zaria
- National Center for Energy Research and Development
- National Centre for Genetic Resources and Biotechnology (NACGRAB)
- National Cereals Research Institute (NCRI)
- National Horticultural Research Institute (NIHORT)
- National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD)
- National Institute of Freshwater Fisheries Research, New Bussa
- National Research Institute for Chemical Technology (NARICT)
- National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA)
- Nigeria Institute of Science Laboratory (NISLT)
- Nigerian Academy of Science
- Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBRRI)
- Nigerian Educational Research Council
- Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research (NIFOR)
- Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology
- Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR)
- Nigerian Stored Products Research Institute (NSPRI)
- Projects Development Institute (PRODA)
- Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC)
- Research Institutes organisations in Nigeria
- R-Jolad Hospital
- Scientific Equipment Development Institute (SEDI-E)
- Sheda Science and Technology Complex
- Social Sciences Academy of Nigeria
- Sylken Nigeria Limited
- The Federal Medical Center, Owerri
- The Nigerian armed forces
- The Specialist Laboratories Limited
- The University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH)
- Toki Medical Center
- Unilorin Sugar Research Institute (USRI)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Medical Physiologists are usually responsible for investigating human diseases, developing instruments for medical applications, analyzing medical samples, writing research grant proposals, maintaining safety from contamination, and working with health departments or physicians on improvement to health.
Some physiologists choose to explore exercise and sports sciences in order to work within training or rehabilitation.
Still, other physiologists get the most out of their careers by training other scientists in an academic field.
Through their expertise in the medical sciences, Medical physiologists conduct research projects that explore the interactions between tissues, cells, and sub-cellular components with various different biological systems.
Job options and description in physiology
From below, your question of where can a physiologist work in Nigeria is made clearer
A physiologist can work as any of these personals in any Nigerian hospitals
- Biomedical scientist
- A clinical scientist, audiology
- Exercise physiologist
- Research scientist (medical)
- Clinical scientist, cardiac sciences
- Medical sales representative
Is important to note that the physiology job description goes beyond these stated below:
- Monitor medical patients during exercise or cardiopulmonary diagnostic testing, monitor their vital signs and record observations and deliver those findings to physicians
- Operate and maintain medical devices and instruments used to perform cardiopulmonary exercise stress tests
- Teach courses on anatomy, physiology, or laboratory courses at an undergraduate or graduate level
- Conduct experiments in a laboratory setting and deliver test results to supervising physician or physiologist
- Conduct pharmaceutical research projects under the direction of a supervisor
- Establish a research laboratory and ensure all laboratory procedures are being followed
- Act as a research project leader, including designing projects, analyzing findings, developing clear and compelling reports, and presenting those findings to internal and external audiences
- Supervise applicable laboratory staff and monitor the progress of patients or study participants
Some Possible Job Titles of physiologist Include:
Below are some of the job titles of physiologist in Nigeria and the world at large;
A kinesiologist is one that studies Kinesiology. Kinesiology studies the science of human movement, performance, and function by applying the fundamental sciences of Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Biomechanics, Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Anatomy, Neuroscience, and Nutrition.
Applications of kinesiology include physical education, rehabilitation, health and safety, health promotion, workplaces, sport, and exercise industries.
Studies of human and animal motion include measures from motion tracking systems, electrophysiology of muscle and brain activity, various methods for monitoring physiological function, and other behavioral and cognitive research techniques
Endocrinologists are doctors who specialize in glands and the hormones they make. They deal with metabolism or all the biochemical processes that make your body work, including how your body changes food into energy and how it grows.
A physiologist can become an endocrinologist after advancing in medical school and specializing in endocrinology.
They may work with adults or kids. When they specialize in treating children, they’re called pediatric endocrinologists.
Asides from advancing in med school, a physiologist can have a doctor’s title after obtaining their Ph.D.
A Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) is a graduate designation that is awarded after students complete extensive study in a chosen area of focus.
It typically takes around 4 years to earn the degree, and there are many programs available internationally.
An immunologist treats health issues brought on by immune system problems. Also known as allergists, immunologists are doctors who diagnose, treat, and work to prevent immune system disorders.
You may see an immunologist if you have food or seasonal allergies, hay fever, eczema or an autoimmune disease.
Conclusion on where can a physiologist work in Nigeria
There are many job opportunities for physiology graduates in Nigeria, however, from the above, you are assured that even in non-medical sectors, there are job opportunities for physiologists.