Pharmaceutical companies in Lebanon have long been a small but important export industry.
Until recently, the country’s drug spending was among the highest in the Middle East, accounting for around 50% of total healthcare spending and around 3.5% of GDP.
The central bank’s recent inability to continue to subsidize all drug imports has meant that multiple economic shocks have combined with underlying market weaknesses, including a high reliance on domestic spending and poor supply chain management, to create a key critical juncture for the drug sector.
Unless the government quickly implements measures to gradually rationalize and phase out subsidies, the complete abolition of drug subsidies would exacerbate a chaotic environment in the drug market and deepen an already deep health care crisis.
Lebanon is considered a center for quality healthcare services in the Middle East due to its internationally accredited hospitals and talented doctors.
Lebanon’s emerging pharmaceutical market is leveraging its competitive advantages, experiencing rapid growth, and becoming more competitive regionally and globally.
Opportunities exist to develop over-the-counter (OTC), generic and proprietary drug manufacturing under license from international companies.
Pharmaceutical Companies in Lebanon
Here is a detailed and organized list of some of the pharmaceutical companies operating in Lebanon:
Address: Nohra Center – 5th-7th floor Tahwitat El-Naher, Furn El-Chebbak Beirut, Lebanon
Telephone: (961 1) 490 330
Fax: (961 1) 490 320
Address: 2nd Floor, Shawkatli Bldg, Downtown Beirut, Lebanon.
Phone: +961 1 568 122/3
ALFA LABORATORIES COMPANY SAL
Address: Alfa Laboratories Building Property Number 68 Keserwan, 1103–2010 Lebanon
Sales: $11.31 million
Year Started: 1972
Address: Algorithm Building Property Number 18, Off-Highway Street Keserwan Lebanon
Sales: $800.00 million
Year Started: 1968
Address: Envirolink S.A.R.L, Antonine Building, Block AB Al jamous Street، Beirut، Lebanon
Email: info@Aliya.com, office@Aliya.com
Phone: +961 5 465 222 | +961 5 465 222 | +961 5 465 333
Arwan Pharmaceutical Industries Lebanon s.a.l.
Address: Jadra, Al-Chouf, Lebanon
Tel: 00961 7 996 002/3
P.O Box: 613 – Saida
Tel: +972 73 222 6099
Fax: +972 (9) 740 6527
Address: Parc،, Beirut, Lebanon
BELLA PHARMA SARL
Address: Victoria Tower Corniche Du Fleuve Avenue Beirut Lebanon
Sales: $3.23 million
Year Started: 2009
BENTA PHARMA INDUSTRIES SAL (OFF-SHORE)
Address: PO Box: 70 31, BENTA Building Street No 104 Dbayeh, 55191 Lebanon
Sales: $40.41 million
Year Started: 2006
Phone: +961 1 511 211
Address: Benta Trading Building, Fouad Chehab Avenue, Sin El Fil
P.O. Box: 55 191 Sin El Fil, Lebanon
Address: Nahas Building, 1st floor 4 St-Maron Str. / Georges Haddad Av.
Postal Code: 2028 5806 SAIFI BEIRUT – LEBANON
P.O. Box: 11-3063
Phone : +961.1.985571 , +961.1.983395
EPITOPE DIAGNOSTICS SARL
Address: Alame Building Damascus International Road Baabda Lebanon
Sales: $11.31 million
Year Started: 2012
Address: Zarif – Jazaer Str. – Ramadan Bldg – First Floor Beirut – Lebanon
Email: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel/Fax: +961 1 741 671
Mob: +961 70 611 233
FMPS Holding Sal
Phone: + 961 (04) 403 410 / 520 502/+ 961 (03) 817 373 / 817 474
Address: Naccash – Talet el Srour – Blue Zone B – Bldg. #10، Lebanon
Address: VG5F+G96, Baabda, Lebanon
Phone: +961 1 546 646
INTEGRATED PHARMA SOLUTIONS MENA SAL(OFF-SHORE)
Address: Apt. Number 1201/1212, Starco Center, Block B Plot No: 134 Beirut Lebanon
Sales: $9.09 million
Year Started: 2012
Tel: +971 7 246 1461
Fax: +971 7246 2462
Address: VGMH+FJR, Beirut, Lebanon
LVL – Lebanese Veterinary Laboratories
Address: LVL bldg – Industrial zone – Baabdat
El Metn – Lebanon
TEL: +961 4 820361
FAX: +961 4 821359
Address: VGP5+XP8, Beirut, Lebanon
Phone: +961 1 614 156
MEDICAL EQUIPMENT AND DRUGS INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION SAL
Address: Safco Center, Block B Plot No. 2933/35 Baabda Lebanon
Sales: $11.31 million
Year Started: 2013
Address: Mediphar Laboratories, Dbayeh – Zouk El Khrab, Beirut Lebanon
P.O.Box: 60-202 Lebanon
Phone: +961 4 540715/717/+961 4 543715/717/+961 70 108700
Fax: +961 4 542821
Phone: +961 1 396 000
Address: Badaro, Sami El Solh Street, Jamil Kfoury Building
P.O. Box:11-9073 Riad El Solh
Postal Code: 1107 2280 Beirut-Lebanon
MPC(Mediterranean Pharmaceutical Company)
Address: Airport Road, Al-Kital Street, Joud Bldg, First Floor, Beirut, Lebanon
Phone: +961 1 542057; +961 1 545544
Fax: +961 1 545545
NAFCO INOX SAL
Address: Nafco Inox Building Cite Industrielle Area Baouchriyeh Lebanon
Sales: $1.33 million
Year Started: 1994
Novo Nordisk Pharma S.A.R.L
Address: Azar Bldg, 5th Floor, Dimitri EL Hayeck Street, Horsh Tabet, Sin El Fil ǀ Beirut, Lebanon
Phone: +961 1 488 664
Address: Baabda, Main Road Next to Yaduna Foundation Gemini building, Ground Floor Beirut, Lebanon
Phone: +961 5 922 831
Omnipharma – Bldg B
Address: Badaro 30 Badaro Street Omnipharma Building
P.o.Box: 11-7956 Beirut – Lebanon
Tel: +961 1 396704
Address: Pharmadex Building Damascus International Road Aley, 1107–2230 Lebanon
Sales: $8.08 million
Year Started: 1970
Pharma Group Holding
Phone: +961 5 923677 /+961 5 926757 / 8 / 9/+961 3 923983/+961 3 957271
Fax: +961 5 923760
Address: Baabda Main Road, Alley 7, Pharma Group Bldg. N°15
Pharmacie Des Copains
Address: rue Notre dame de secours, Haret Sakher, Lebanon
Phone: +961 9 642 366
Address: 3rd Floor, Rabbat Bldg., Gardernia Str., Hazmieh – Lebanon
Tel: +961 5 951853
Fax: +961 5 951854
Address: P.O.Box: 90201, Sarraf Building Off-Highway Street Jdeidet-el-Metn Lebanon
Sales: $70.00 million
Year Started: 1987
Pharma Marketing and Services
Address: Beirut Al Zarif, Talaat Harb Street, Taljeh Bld.
Phone: +(961) 1 360343 / +(961) 1 373186
Fax: +(961) 1 372259
Address: Promopharm Center, Notre-Dame du Liban Street Zouk Mosbeh
P.O.Box: 47 Zouk Mikael Lebanon
Tel/Fax: + 961 9 225 637-8-9
Address: Near Electricite Du Liban, Hanna Building Assaad, And Adib Hanna Metn Lebanon
Year Started: 2008
Address: SADCO Bldg. Beer Hassan, Street No. 76,
P.O. Box: 11-4486 Beirut, Lebanon
Phone: +961 1 855 560
Fax: +961 1 856 787
Address: Baabda Road, Hadath Lebanon
P.O. Box: 166715
Phone: +961-5-923212, +961-5-924162 ext 306
Address: VGJV+C6G, Dekwaneh, Lebanon
Address: Union Pharmaceutique d’Orient s.a.l.
P.O.Box: 11-0709 Museum Street, Stephan building, Badaro, Beirut, Lebanon
Phone: +961(0)1 387815
Fax: +961(0)1 396047/+961(0)1 387818
Address: Les Bureaux du Mall, L3, Dbayeh, Metn-Lebanon
Phone: +961 4 521 164 / +961 4 521 165
LinkedIn: Vivacity S.A.L
KEY FACTS about pharmaceutical companies in Lebanon
- The size of the pharmaceutical market was US$1.82 billion in 2017 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5% to US$2.3 billion by 2022. It is considered one of the highest in the region.
- Proprietary drugs make up about 50% of the market, and over-the-counter (OTC) and generic drugs make up about 25% of the market.
- The sector includes more than 100 importers and 11 production sites.
- Pharmaline has the largest share of the local market with around 40% of the total market turnover, followed by Benta Pharma (32%), Algorithm (15%), and Mediphar (12%).
- Export activity has recently recovered, with pharmaceutical exports growing at a CAGR of 11% between 2014 and 2017, reaching US$52.5 million in 2017.
- The main export countries are Iraq (23%), the United Arab Emirates, the United States (20%). , Saudi Arabia (19%) and Kuwait (11%).
- Imports amounted to USD 1.2 billion in 2017, which is 7% of total industrial imports.
- The main importing countries are Germany (16%), France (12%), and the United States (11%).
Lebanon’s Competitive Advantage
- Talented and Affordable Human Capital Base: Lebanon ranks 18th in the world for the quality of its higher education system and 4th for the quality of its math and science education. With its developed STEM curriculum, the country can provide a highly specialized workforce for the pharmaceutical industry. The best universities offer advanced programs in chemistry and pharmacy at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The Lebanese American University also offers a highly selective and internationally accredited Doctor of Pharmacy program. annually with a degree in Pharmacy and are recruited by the local, regional and international pharmaceutical industry around the world7.
- Access to a Large and Fast-Growing Regional Market: Thanks to GAFTA, Lebanon has direct access to the MENA pharmaceutical market, a market expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.5% (supported by a high population growth rate and growing income). ) between 2015 and 2020, one of the highest rates in the world, surpassing those of the US, the CIS region, and China, which are estimated at 7.6%, 7.3%, and 6.9%, respectively.
- Well-developed health services: Lebanon has one of the highest doctor-to-population ratios in the world, at around 31 doctors per 10,000 people, and the highest bed-to-population ratio, at 35 beds per 10,0008. Pharmaceutical sales accounted for 3.4% of GDP and 44% of total healthcare expenditure in 20189. The country’s well-developed healthcare system, particularly its private hospital facilities, has made the country
Frequently Asked Questions
How many pharmaceutical importers are in Lebanon?
With more than 50 pharmaceutical importers, Lebanon is the main market for imported pharmaceuticals in the Levant.
What’s the market value of Lebanon’s pharmaceutical industry?
The pharmaceutical market in Lebanon is valued at more than US$1.3 billion with potential annual growth of more than 5 percent.
Patented drugs make up about 50 percent of the market, and over-the-counter (OTC) and generic drugs make up about 25 percent each.
What are the total pharmaceutical imports in Lebanon?
As a result, imports account for more than 95 percent of all pharmaceutical products available on the market. According to the Lebanese Customs Agency, total pharmaceutical imports into Lebanon in 2018 were US$1,329 million, of which US$151 million were imported from the United States.
Who are the main import sources of pharmaceutical products from Lebanon?
The main import sources of pharmaceutical products from Lebanon are France (13.9%), Germany (14.25%), the United States (8.24%), Italy (7%), Ireland (5.43% ), and Switzerland (6.88%).
Where do the Lebanese population receive medical care?
A large part of the Lebanese population receives medical care from the Ministry of Health, which buys medicines from local importers, delivers them to patients, and reimburses hospital bills.
The pharmaceutical market currently comprises more than 1,100 foreign and local suppliers, 11 of which are local manufacturing facilities, forming a well-established pharmaceutical ecosystem in the country.
Manufacturers mostly make their off-patent branded generic drugs, but also manufacture patented drugs under license for multinational companies. These local producers together make up only 11% of the pharmaceutical market in Lebanon.
Top pharmaceutical companies in Saudi Arabia
List of Netherlands Biotech companies