Health insurance in Kentucky

With insurance costs increasing, it’s critical to identify a provider with whom you can work. The following are the best health insurance companies in Kentucky.

When it comes to health insurance in Kentucky, the Bluegrass state has a plethora of options to choose from. What is the process for purchasing health insurance in Kentucky?

Residents of Kentucky can enroll in the Kentucky health insurance marketplace and purchase coverage by purchasing a plan from a private health insurance provider located in the state of the state.

Another alternative is the Kentucky health insurance exchange, which may be accessed through the website as the state marketplace; but, beginning in November 2021, enrollment will be handled by Kynect, the state-run health insurance exchange.

Make sure to look through our list of the best health insurance companies in the United States if you want to learn even more.

Individuals and families can purchase health insurance through the state marketplace. This group comprises retirees, self-employed individuals, and persons employed by small businesses. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) provides financial assistance and subsidies that are dependent on the family income of the applicant.

Health insurance plans in Kentucky – A comparison

The health insurance policies for businesses are divided into four categories, with a fifth category for catastrophic coverage.

Each firm provides a Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum plan, with consumers able to customize their coverage, deductibles, copays, and coinsurance to meet their specific needs and preferences.

Plans for the Bronze Tier

Young people benefit from these plans since they have a low monthly premium and the least amount of coverage.

Because they are less expensive, they are the greatest option for them. They have the largest deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums of any of the insurance companies. The bronze plans offered by each insurance provider should be considered for those who are in excellent health.

These policies are available to everyone, and the premiums are on average less expensive than those of Silver plans.

However, if you require medical attention throughout the year, you will be required to pay a higher out-of-pocket amount before coverage begins.

As a general rule, you may anticipate a Bronze plan to cover around 60% of your healthcare expenses, with the other 40% being your responsibility.

Expanded Bronze plans boost coverage to around 65 percent, with you paying approximately 35 percent of the cost.

As a result, we only propose these plans if you have the financial resources to cover a significant amount of the costs associated with a probable medical emergency in the future.

The Ambetter Essential Care 1 plan is the most affordable Bronze plan available in Kentucky. The Anthem Bronze Pathway X Transition HMO 6800 with HSA is the most affordable Expanded Bronze plan available.

Plans in the Silver Tier

For the most part, these plans are referred to as “middle-of-the-road” designs. They feature typical rates, moderate deductibles, and out-of-pocket maximums, and they are quite inexpensive. Individuals who expect to incur significant medical expenditures soon, such as families with newborns, may benefit from these plans greatly.

Silver plans, on the other hand, are qualified for cost-sharing reduction (CSR) subsidies, which would let low-income families reduce their out-of-pocket payments even more.

Typical Silver plans cover around 70% of your healthcare expenses, with you responsible for the other 30%.

In contrast, with CSR subsidies, you may be able to qualify for a Silver plan that covers up to 94 percent of your healthcare expenses.

The Ambetter Balanced Care 30 is the most affordable Silver plan available in Kentucky.

Plans for Gold and Platinum Tiers

Kentucky’s top categories are Gold and Platinum, which are the most expensive. The plans have a high monthly cost, but they also have low deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums, making them a good value.

They can be in handy if you have a lot of medical bills to pay. You will be able to achieve your deductible more rapidly, and your coinsurance benefits will begin to accrue more quickly. They are designed for those who have chronic health concerns or who require continuous medical attention.

The average cost of a Gold health plan in Kentucky for a 40-year-old is 15 percent more than the average cost of a Silver health plan in the same state.

In general, Gold health insurance policies are the most cost-effective option if you anticipate incurring significant medical expenditures, such as those associated with chronic diseases or those associated with expensive prescription medications.

You may anticipate these plans to cover around 80 percent of your medical expenses, with the remaining 20 percent being your responsibility.

The Ambetter Secure Care 20 is the most affordable Gold plan available in Kentucky.


Kentucky residents may potentially be eligible for a catastrophic plan, which provides the most basic level of coverage offered on the market. Catastrophic plans offer cheap monthly premiums but substantial yearly deductibles, which makes them attractive.

It is only available to those under the age of thirty. In the event of an emergency, you will be required to pay additional money out of pocket on top of your deductibles.

Premium tax credits are available for all levels of health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Low-income families and households earning less than 250 percent of the federal poverty threshold, on average, are eligible for the tax reductions, according to the IRS.

Companies that provide Health insurance in Kentucky

At this time, there are four health insurance carriers available through the Kentucky state exchange:

  1. Ambetter from WellCare of Kentucky;

Ambetter Health Marketplace Insurance, the nation’s leading health insurance marketplace in terms of enrollment and market share, is expanding its cheap health insurance products to include coverage in the state of Kentucky.

Among the many vital health benefits provided by Ambetter from WellCare of Kentucky are preventative and wellness treatment, maternity and newborn care, pediatric services, mental and behavioral health treatment, inpatient and outpatient hospitalization, and prescription medication coverage.

Access to telehealth services, online enrollment support, and the My Health PaysTM program, which lets members earn incentives that may be used toward healthcare bills in exchange for participating in healthy activities, are all included in the plans.

WellCare of Kentucky is a government-sponsored managed care organization that offers services to families, children, the elderly, and persons with complex needs, primarily via Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans throughout the state of Kentucky.

  1. Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield;

Anthem is a prominent health benefits organization focused on enhancing lives and communities, as well as making healthcare more accessible and understandable.

Also, Anthem provides services to more than 107 million individuals through its connected firms, with about 43 million of those being members of its family of health plans. Having as a goal to be the most inventive, useful, and inclusive partner possible.

Anthem is committed to providing better care to its members, giving more value to consumers, and assisting in the improvement of the health of communities across the world.

Managed health care products, including HMOs, PPOs, point-of-service plans, and standard indemnity plans, are provided to residents of the state by Anthem and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of California.

An additional product line offered by Anthem Health Plans of Kentucky includes multiple health plans for Medicare beneficiaries and individuals, in addition to Lumenos, a consumer-driven health plan.

In addition, it is responsible for administering supplemental life, dental, vision, and psychological health insurance policies for employees.

  1. CareSource Kentucky Co.:

Individuals who participate in the CareSource Group’s health care exchange plans are referred to as “Members,” just as they are in the company’s Medicaid HMO plans.

The CareSource Group seeks to create a long-lasting difference in the lives of its members by enhancing their health and general well-being via all of its operations.

As part of this objective, it offers Members (both of its Medicaid HMO plans and health care exchange plans) services that go above and beyond the provision of medical benefits and that help them overcome poverty to achieve excellent health and independence.

The CareSource Group also thinks that educational efforts can help to enhance the health of its members’ families.

Education enables Members to assume a sense of personal responsibility for their health as well as the health of their families by promoting healthy lifestyle choices and preventative health care.

A tailored wellness plan is created for each member of the CareSource Group, as an example. Additionally, members who are pregnant or who have a child under the age of one are eligible to participate in Text4Babies.

Participating members receive three text messages every week, each of which contains information on good preventative care for their children.

Other initiatives include a childhood obesity management solution for children between the ages of five and seventeen years old.

  1. Molina Healthcare;

State governments partner with Molina Healthcare, which works as a health plan, to provide access to a wide range of high-quality health services to families and people who qualify for government-sponsored initiatives, like as Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

Molina Healthcare is a managed healthcare provider that focuses in:

  • Families with little financial resources.
  • Expectant mothers and other persons whose health-care needs are met by a Medicaid health-care plan are eligible.
  • The State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).
  • Medicare Advantage health plans that are targeted toward low-income seniors are available.
  • Plans that cover both Medicare and Medicaid.
  • Prescription medications for those who fall into any of these categories.

All of Molina’s plans feature cheap premiums and minimal out-of-pocket expenditures, making them an excellent value.

In addition, the firm has agreements with a network of service providers, which includes independent physicians and physician groups, hospitals, different types of healthcare services, and pharmacies, among others.

It also has clinics that provide healthcare directly to Medicaid participants, as well as a nurse advice line that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

FAQs about the Health insurance in Kentucky

  • What kind of health insurance exchange does Kentucky use?

With the start of the 2022 planning year, Kentucky will once again rely on Kynect, which is a state-run exchange.

This is the same strategy that the state employed throughout the early years of the Affordable Care Act’s implementation.

  • Are prices for health insurance on the Kentucky health insurance exchange rising?

As a result of the average authorized rate modifications for 2022, the two largest insurers had their average premiums drop by around 4 percent on average (Anthem and CareSource).

  • Is there a high-risk insurance pool in place in Kentucky?

In virtually all states, including Kentucky, pre-existing conditions were a barrier to receiving health insurance coverage before the Affordable Care Act (ACA) changed that. ACA reforms eliminated that obstacle.

In the application process, medical records were reviewed, and persons who did not match the health eligibility requirements were denied the opportunity to obtain private health insurance coverage. People with pre-existing diseases who were unable to obtain coverage in the individual market were able to obtain coverage via Kentucky Access, which was founded in 2001.

Beginning on January 1, 2014, all new health insurance plans become a guaranteed issue under the Affordable Care Act. Kentucky Access informed its subscribers that the plan will stop operations at the end of 2013 as a result of this component of reform. Kynect was able to assist insureds in making the move to private coverage in the meantime.

  • Did Kentucky adopt the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion?

Additionally, Kentucky implemented a state-run health insurance market as part of the Affordable Care Act, and also extended Medicaid as part of the law.

Kentucky people (up to the age of 64) with household incomes up to 138 percent of the federal poverty line are eligible for Medicaid under the Medicaid eligibility extension.

  • Is it possible to get short-term health insurance in Kentucky?

When it comes to short-term health insurance, Kentucky adheres to federal regulations. Thus, insurance policies offered for sale in New York are permitted to have initial periods of up to 364 days and a total tenure of up to three years, however, the majority of the policies available are limited to six months. The Kentucky health insurance marketplace is open to all.

A final thought about Health insurance in Kentucky

Obtaining Health insurance in Kentucky shields you against unexpected, excessive medical expenditures.

You pay very little for authorized in-network health care, well before you reach your deductible. You get free preventative care, like immunizations, screenings, and certain check-ups, just before you hit your deductible.

Editors’ Picks

Health insurance in Pennsylvania

Best life insurance for diabetes

Disability insurance for individuals

Best health insurance companies in Texas

Free emergency medical insurance

Learn about the health insurance companies in Bahrain

Leave a Reply