Today, we will be looking at how to get a medical degree in the United States since becoming a doctor is a laudable goal because it provides a wonderful opportunity to help people, and it is one of the most recognized professions in the world.
Of course, studying medicine involves dedication, time, vocation, effort, and a large monetary investment.
It is certainly a good choice to pursue a medical career, but why study medicine in the United States? Simply because the United States has the best medical schools.
For this reason, if you are interested in pursuing this goal, it will be helpful to explore some of the issues involved.
Where to study medicine in the United States in 2023?
Fortunately, the United States has plenty to choose from, with renowned public and private medical schools and a world-class education system. Both their educational infrastructure and relevant curricula help students get proper preparation for such a dedicated and delicate profession.
To get into one of these schools, the essay writing service EssayAssistant recommends you write a successful motivation letter that really helps with admission.
Listed below are some of the most prominent medical schools in the United States. These schools have produced brilliant students who have subsequently won Nobel Prizes.
- Harvard University. Since 1782, it has trained several generations of physicians; it is the third oldest medical school in the United States and by far the most prestigious. Its main areas of focus are education, research, and clinical care. It includes four university-affiliated hospitals in the Boston, Massachusetts, area.
- Johns Hopkins University. Founded on February 22, 1876. Has earned a reputation as one of the finest academic and biomedical research institutions in the United States and the world. It is located next to the hospital of the same name in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Stanford University. Its medical school dates back to 1908 and is among the top research universities in the country, with extensive experience training specialists in all fields of medicine. It is affiliated with several hospitals and is located in Stanford, California.
- Yale University. Founded in 1810, this university, located in New Haven, Connecticut, has been responsible for many scientific advances, for example, it was a forerunner in the use of X-rays, penicillin, and cancer chemotherapy in the United States. He was characterized by a unique training system.
How much does it cost to study medicine in the United States?
Medicine is not only a long but also a very expensive career. It is estimated that annual tuition at private universities in the United States is about $50,000.00 for tuition and fees alone, not including teaching materials, living expenses, etc.
If you are planning to study medical degree in the United States, start by researching the university you choose, its location, the availability of a financial aid system, and student housing, all of which will affect the amount you will have to spend.
The following table shows the average cost of studying medicine at some of the most prominent universities in the United States.
|Johns Hopkins||$ 50,000.00|
|California (UCLA)||$ 38,000.00|
Should I study medicine in the United States?
Getting a medical degree in the United States will give you a higher status than your degree. After all, this country is known for its high-quality teaching, highly qualified professors with their professional ethics, optimal teaching systems, and the most advanced medical technology on the planet.
It is certainly worth trying to emigrate to the United States to take advantage of studying this exciting discipline and becoming a highly skilled physician. Although it is a path with roses and thorns, the academic and financial rewards far outweigh the sacrifices.
Are there available scholarships?
Don’t despair, scholarships to study medicine in the United States exist. Students from developing countries can apply for these grants to help pay for tuition and study materials. You may be eligible for one, as some medical fellowship programs are geared toward diverse students.
Whether you are a first-year undergraduate or graduate student, there are funding options for you. You should familiarize yourself with the unique application processes. For example, there are academic scholarships for students with good grades, as well as athletic scholarships and, finally, medical scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students.
Here are some of the scholarship programs available in the United States:
- Fulbright Scholarships. Available to students from developing countries and administered by the Fulbright Foundation or U.S. embassies.
- ACLS Scholarships. Designed for medical students from other countries pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate medical education. An individual essay on emergency medicine must be submitted to qualify.
- James L. Hutchinson and Evelyn Ribbs Hutchinson School Scholarships. Offers scholarships for students from around the country who wish to attend medical school.
- University of Minnesota Medical School Scholarships. These grants are also available to international students based on their interests and needs.
- David Geffen UCLA Scholarships. Also helps foreign nationals seeking admission to UCLA medical school.
Top 3 Public medical universities in the United States
The mythical American universities that we so often see in movies, such as Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, are in reality expensive and have very high selection standards. However, in the diverse educational offerings of the United States, you can find public universities of high quality and world prestige.
Here is an example of three public universities worth considering as alternatives for a medical degree.
University of Berkeley, California
This university has earned a reputation as one of the best public universities in the country.
Known for being at the forefront of technology and innovation, it has contributed to outstanding scientific discoveries in the past, such as the first flu vaccine and the world’s cure for malaria.
As you might expect, the admissions requirements for the University of California, Berkeley are very high. They are listed below:
- Passing the SAT with a score of more than 1,260
- Minimum required high school grades equivalent to a 9 or 10
- TOEFL test to prove English proficiency
- Letter of Recommendation from teachers
- Extracurricular activities, whether volunteer, music or intellectual pursuits
University of Michigan
The University of Michigan Medical School is one of the longest-established public universities in the United States. Its curricula are based on learning systems used in clinical settings.
Candidates for admission to this highly ranked medical school must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or participant in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program
- Have at least 90 hours of university coursework, of which 60 hours must have been taken at a reputable U.S. or Canadian institution
- Letters of Recommendation and Applications
- Pass the MCAT entrance exam
- CASPER computer-based test to assess the candidate’s personal and professional qualities
University of San Diego, California
Its medical school is one of the most selective in the country. The University of California, San Diego prides itself on using new technology to train innovative and compassionate physicians focused on providing excellent medical care to the public.
The following formalities are required for admission.
- Pass the SAT with a minimum score of 1,310 or the ACT with a score of 59
- Take the TOEFL or IELTS to test your English proficiency
- Submit an essay or personal statement in flawless English on topics important to you
- GPA (Grade Point Average), which is the academic score appropriate to the degree program
The effort and sacrifice devoted to the study of medicine in the United States have translated into quality academic training, worldwide recognition, and, most importantly, the opportunity to save many lives.
How to become a nurse in Canada
Learn about the different types of medical courses
Best medical universities in Nigeria