Have you ever wondered if there is a PHP Program for Depression that will suit you? Then you are not alone this blog post covers everything you need to know about these programs.
When you’re facing depression or anxiety and your weekly therapy sessions just aren’t cutting it, it’s crucial to be aware of the alternatives available. Inpatient hospitalization for depressive conditions might be something you’ve considered.
This involves an overnight stay at a hospital, but it comes with a hefty price tag, costing anywhere between $3,500 and $8,500 according to reports. On top of that, it’s the most restrictive form of mental health care.
The healthcare industry has recognized this and has been exploring other options. One such alternative is a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) for depression. This type of program is designed for individuals who need a more intensive level of treatment, but perhaps not as restrictive as inpatient care. In this blog post, we will explain everything you need to know about PHP programs for depression, as well as the costs and requirements
What is a Partial Hospitalization Program?
It’s a structured, intensive outpatient program specifically designed to address various mental health conditions. It’s a team effort involving a variety of healthcare providers, such as therapists and psychiatrists.
The beauty of PHP is that it can be tailored to your specific diagnosis, like depression, PTSD, or anxiety. Each program can be personalized, ensuring that you receive the most effective treatment for your unique situation.
Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP) for depression typically run for 4 to 8 hours each day, for up to 5 days a week. Every day, you would need to commute to and from the program’s location. However, some programs offer telehealth services, which allow you to participate virtually from the comfort of your own home. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, you might be enrolled in a PHP program for a duration spanning from a few weeks to several months.
These programs are primarily designed for individuals grappling with serious mental health conditions requiring a higher level of care. In other words, if your weekly outpatient therapy sessions or psychiatrist appointments are not sufficient to manage or alleviate your symptoms, a PHP program might be recommended.
In certain cases, PHP programs can serve as an alternative to inpatient hospitalization. They can also act as a “step-down” option post-discharge from a hospital or residential program, aiding in a smoother transition back to your regular life while ensuring you receive ample support. Some of the conditions that a PHP can treat include anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, eating disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), substance abuse issues, and suicidal ideation or attempts.
It’s important to note that a PHP program must be recommended by a healthcare professional. If they deem PHP as the right course of action for you, it’s likely because they recognize that your serious mental health condition warrants a higher level of care, that PHP treatment would be beneficial for you, and that a more intensive treatment via PHP would help you regain normal functioning or prevent relapse.
Requirements for PHP programs for depression
While PHP programs are voluntary treatments, they do require a certain level of commitment from you. For instance, you might be required to commit to punctually attending every daily session for a minimum specified duration.
Once you’ve chosen the type of Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) that suits your needs, the next step is to get in touch with the program for admission. A representative from the PHP will conduct a screening process, asking you a series of questions to ascertain whether the program aligns with your specific situation.
If the PHP provider deems you a suitable candidate based on your responses, they will recommend you for the program. Other PHP program requirements include your availability and commitment to attend the program, absence of active suicidal ideation, need for a more structured environment and support for safety, living in a secure residence, and willingness to participate in the program voluntarily.
What happens during a PHP program?
A PHP program is customized to cater to your unique needs. You will engage in a series of treatment activities throughout the day before returning home in the evening.
Enrollment in a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) provides individuals with a range of support services tailored to meet their specific needs. These often include:
- Personal counseling or therapy sessions
- Group therapy
- Training in medication management
- Educational classes
- Nursing or physical therapy
- Coordination of care
- Planning for relapse prevention and aftercare
- Family therapy
- Creative therapies like music and art therapy
Cost of a PHP Program for Depression
The Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) costs can vary based on several factors:
- Location: Programs situated in highly sought-after areas, like beachfront locations, tend to cost more than those in less popular areas.
- Amenities: Programs offering more luxuries, such as private rooms, spa facilities, and meals prepared by chefs, are likely to be pricier than those offering fewer amenities.
- Duration: The length of your stay directly impacts the cost – the longer your stay, the higher the cost.
- Insurance coverage: Your insurance coverage can significantly influence how much you end up paying.
Benefits of a PHP program for depression
For individuals grappling with severe depression, partial hospitalization can offer numerous benefits. These may include:
- Comprehensive care
PHPs are designed to provide all-encompassing mental health care by enabling access to therapy, medication management, and other health services in one place. Your treatment team works together to deliver you the most effective care for your symptoms.
- Greater freedom
As PHPs do not require overnight stays, you have more flexibility to work or attend school. In contrast, inpatient programs are more restrictive, limiting the time you can spend outside the hospital.
Typically, a PHP is less expensive than inpatient care. For instance, compare the average daily cost of a hospital stay in 2016 ($1,100) to the daily PHP program cost without insurance ($350 to $450).
All these aspects contribute towards aiding individuals in managing depression more effectively.
Best PHP Programs for depression
Here are some centers that offer the best PHP programs for depression:
1. Delray Center For Healing’s Depression Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
The Delray Center For Healing’s Depression Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) stands out as one of the most thorough outpatient depression treatment programs nationwide. Unlike hospital-based programs that are crisis-focused, their PHP is a true therapeutic program.
The centre aims to identify and treat the root causes of depression in individuals, rather than just managing the immediate crisis. Their goal is to help patients achieve and maintain complete remission from their depression and experience long-term happiness. They understand that other issues like negative thought patterns, anxiety, eating disorders, substance abuse, and past trauma may need to be addressed for effective treatment.
At the Delray Center, the staff is fully equipped to treat any or all of these disorders in a patient. They aim for the long-term resolution of depression and equip patients with the tools they need to handle life’s stresses. Even when numerous medication combinations, ECT (electroconvulsive therapy), TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation), and VNS (vagal nerve stimulation) have failed, their PHP program for depression has often achieved remarkable success.
The Partial Hospitalization Program offers various treatments for depression, including:
- Personalized intensive therapy
- Group and family counseling
- Meditation and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Solution-Focused Therapy (SFT)
- Gender-specific group therapy
- Expressive therapies and art therapy
- Psychiatric medical treatment
- Advanced vitamin and amino acid therapy
- Nutritional evaluation and therapy
- Organic cooking classes
- Acupuncture and Swedish massage
- Color therapy and biofeedback
- Yin and Vinyasa Yoga
- Outdoor recreational therapy
- Personal fitness training
- Group fitness classes like spinning, balance, agility, and circuit training
- Regular interaction with support staff
2. Rise Above Treatment’s Partial Hospitalization Program For Depression
At Rise Above Treatment in sunny Murrieta, California, they offer a unique approach to the partial hospitalization program for depression. They collaborate with their patients to create a personalized plan. This plan combines various therapies and activities to help you take back your life from depression. Their approach is comprehensive, taking into account your physical, mental, and spiritual health, and ensuring a safe program environment.
The skilled clinicians and counselors are dedicated to helping you make the necessary changes for your well-being. They’ll be with you every step of the way, providing guidance and support in a judgment-free setting.
3. Rockland Recovery’s Depression Treatment Approach
Rockland Recovery’s partial hospitalization program for depression is designed for long-term mental wellness. They offer a comprehensive depression treatment plan with structure, accountability, and support.
At Rockland Recovery, they create a treatment plan tailored to your needs. They have treatment teams who will work with you to pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses. Their depression treatment extends beyond just therapy and medication. They believe in treating you as a whole person and helping you tackle the root causes of your depression.
Here are some more private depression centers that offer PHP programs for depression:
- The Center of HOPE, Washington
- Sierra Tucson Depression Treatment Center, Tucson, Arizona
- Hollywood Pavilion, Hollywood, Florida
- Walden Behavioral Care Center, Massachusetts
- Bayridge Anxiety and Depression Treatment Center, Ontario
- Connecticut Anxiety and Depression Treatment Center, Connecticut
- YouthCare Residential Treatment Center, Utah
- Newport Beach Anxiety and Depression Treatment Center, California
- Sunset Skyland Trail, Atlanta
- Malibu’s Depression Treatment Center, Malibu, California
The top ten centers affiliated with university hospitals that offer PHP programs for depression:
- Harvard – Massachusetts General Hospital (Psychiatry Department)
- The Mood Disorders Center at Johns Hopkins Hospital
- McLean Hospital at Harvard
- University of Pennsylvania (Psychiatry Department)
- Stanford University (Bipolar Disorders Clinic and Depression Research Clinic)
- Depression Center at the University of Michigan
- Depression Center at the University of Colorado Denver
- Depression Center at the University of Louisville
- Columbia University (Columbia Psychiatry)
- University of California, San Francisco Depression Center (UCSF).
Conclusion on the Top PHP Program for Depression
PHP is an organized, intense program for people with serious mental or substance issues. It provides various services like one-on-one therapy, skills development, and medication management in one place. A typical day can last 4-8 hours.
They’re usually cheaper than full hospital stays or residential programs. Health insurance generally covers PHPs, including Medicare. However, a letter of medical necessity is likely needed. Costs can vary based on your insurance type.