Online nursing informatics program is becoming popular and of public acceptance lately with different institutions offering the course.
Nursing informatics is the practice of the science of integrating nursing information and technology to manage medical data, improving the health care of patients, and practice management.
Nursing informatics simply aims to improve the nursing practice, reduce cost and improve the lives of people.
Nurse informatics now with the use of better technology gathers patients’ medical records electronically, and analyzes patients’ data to provide more effective care, with the knowledge of information technology you will be able to solve innovative problems within the nursing or even the general medical profession.
Introduction to online nursing informatics program
Just as nurses are in high demand, so are informatics nurses who understand the technology and its impact on solving problems.
The role of technology in medicine has helped to solve simple problems disguised as big ones and has helped to collect data that can be used to solve complex problems.
Health institutions all over the world try to improve patient care through improved technology.
Some examples of nursing informatics are electronic medical records, patients portals, machine learning, and computerized provider order entry there are other technologies in nursing informatics such as clinical image capture, predictive analytics, and voice dictation amongst others.
Online nursing informatics programs
Below is the list of top online nursing informatics programs;
- Advanced Information Management and the Application of Technology
- Data Modeling and Database Management Systems
- Data Science and Analytics
- Foundations in Nursing Informatics
- Informatics System Analysis and Design
- Nursing Informatics Capstone
- Nursing Informatics Field Experience
Areas of nursing informatics
- Administrative Nursing Information Systems
- Clinical Information Systems/Practice Applications
- Consumer’s Use Of Informatics
- Nursing Educational Information System
- Nursing Research Information Systems
Nursing Informatics Degree requirement
Studying nursing informatics is an advanced field and requires training or a degree. Nursing informatics can be done remotely if you can work from home.
The degree too can be acquired online and some of the requirements will be listed under this heading. The three components of nursing informatics are computer skills, nursing science, and information knowledge.
This will be crucial in your training to become an informatics nurse. Nurses need informatics skills to cater to patients properly with some of the best tools made available to them.
Online nursing informatics degree requirement will also be the same requirement for an offline program, these are the following requirements-
- You must possess a Bachelor of Science in Nursing which takes about 3 to 4 years of completion with additional master or doctoral program in information technology
- You must be licensed and be a registered nurse.
MSN Nursing Informatics
MSN nursing informatics simply implies Masters of Science in Nursing informatics, the program can be done online and on-campus, it is offered by various prestigious universities all around the world.
Furthering your Bachelor’s into Masters will open more opportunities for you and lets you become a specialist in the field.
MSN nursing informatics programs are usually between 2 to 3 years of academic study and examination.
Degree requirements are that you must have been a nurse for 2 years or more, must have practiced a minimum number of hours in nursing informatics, you must have your equivalent first-degree certificate, current resume, letters of recommendation, personal statement.
Online nursing program for MSc
- Advanced Information Management and the Application of Technology
- Comprehensive Health Assessment for Patients and Populations
- Essentials of Advanced Nursing Practice Field Experience
- Organizational Leadership and Interprofessional Team Development
- Pathopharmacological Foundations for Advanced Nursing Practice
- Policy, Politics, and Global Health Trends
- Professional Presence and Influence
- Translational Research for Practice and Population
Nursing Informatics Jobs
Nursing informatics like all career parts in medicine require attentive minds and scaling it on a difficult scale per its effect on life cannot be overemphasized.
It is a high-level technical role, which requires nurses to integrate technology, research, analyze data and gather new workflows.
Though nursing informatics might be stressful, the ability to improve lives and get your share of reward in a tasking environment makes it worth it.
There are high demands of informatics nurses and with the advancement of technology, roles are opening up and will require those with the proper tools. Some of the career opportunities for informatics nurses are:
- Information administration and executives
- Clinical analysts
- Data analysts
- Data managers
- Academic educators, and researchers
- Nursing informatics specialists,
So much more, they are also needed in administration.
Masters in Nursing Informatics Salary
A career part in nursing informatics is lucrative work and a good field to dive into and depending on your experience, level of education your average salary ranges from 58,000 to 103,400 per year.
Salaries differ for different states in the United States and also countries too. Nursing informatics salary is dependent on different factors.
Cheapest Nursing Informatics Program
Getting your degree in nursing informatics doesn’t come cheap and there are some standardized and less expensive programs you can take. Here are some of the cheapest nursing informatics programs and the various institutions.
- Texas Tech University Health sciences center – program costs between 11,000 to 23,00 USD.
- Western governors university- program cost 16,000 to 32,140 USD.
- Northeastern University- program cost 11,000 to 11,068 USD.
- Georgia Southwestern State University- program cost 4,000 to 5,000USD.
- Ferris State University- program costs 7,320 USD.
- Troy University- program costs 18, 278 USD.
- Queens University- program costs 21,164 USD.
- Columbus State University- program cost 7,612 USD.
- American Sentinel University- program costs 6,480 USD.
- New England College- program costs 19,800 USD.
These universities offer online programs as well as on-campus, international students who wish to attend these universities should visit the schools’ websites to gather more information.
University of Maryland Nursing Informatics
The University of Maryland established in 1856 is one of the top universities in the world. The university has two campuses in Baltimore and Rockville.
The university offers an online nursing informatics program that lasts for 2 years, the tuition fee is 4,598 to 18,869 for residents and non-residents respectively.
There are various scholarships offered like the federal financial aid, merit scholarship, Conway scholarship, the donor-funded scholarship you can apply for if the tuition fees are above your budget. The program is still undergoing and registration closing on December 15th, 2021.
To apply for the program you must possess the following qualification:
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing from an ACEN- (formally known as NLNAC) or CCNE-accredited college or university or an equivalent degree from a comparable foreign institution.
- an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0
To get more information concerning this program endeavor to visit the Universities website before the deadline given and ensure to have the above documents ready for application.
Though an increasing technological health technology does not come cheap, requires constant dependence on technology, and may be prone to a data hack, the future of nursing informatics outweighs these challenges and these problems can be tackled.
Professionals in this field allow themselves to constantly weigh in advancing information technology to help administration, leadership, and management.
Also, knowing the different Online nursing informatics programs are important for all to know.