There are different accelerated nursing programs in Florida that give students the chance to fast-track their nursing careers within 12 to 18 months of intense study.
Upon successful completion of the accelerated program, you earn either a BSN or MSN depending on the program of your choice. The BSN degree qualifies you to take the NCLEX-RN exam and become a licensed nurse.
Accelerated nursing programs also serve as an opportunity for licensed nurses to gain more education and skills which leads to career advancements in a variety of health care settings.
According to the Florida Center for Nursing, there is a high demand for nurses in Florida every year and this has led to a shortage of nurses in the state.
In addition to this, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics ranks Florida as the 4th highest employer of nurses in the United States.
For these reasons, many students both local and international enroll in accelerated nursing programs in Florida so as to take up nursing jobs in the state.
So, if you hold a bachelor’s degree in another field of study but wish to become a licensed nurse, this article will give you accelerated nursing programs in Florida that can make your wish come true.
Overview of Accelerated Nursing Programs In Florida
Graduates that have a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field but wish to become licensed nurses can do so by taking accelerated nursing programs in Florida.
The accelerated nursing programs in Florida will give you credit for the courses you will take and make you acquire a nursing degree within a short time and at a cheaper cost.
You may either enroll in an accelerated BSN program to acquire a bachelor’s degree or enroll in the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program to earn a master’s degree.
Schools that offer accelerated nursing programs in Florida
Below are the top institutions that offer accelerated nursing programs in Florida;
- Barry University, Miami Shores
- ECPI University-Orlando, Lake Mary
- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton
- Florida International University, Miami
- Jacksonville University, Jacksonville
- Keiser University
- University of Central Florida, Orlando
- University of South Florida, Tampa
Barry University, Miami Shores
Address: 11300 NE 2nd Avenue Miami Shores, FL 33161-6695
Website: Visit here
The College of Nursing and Health Sciences at Barry University offers one of the accelerated nursing programs in Florida. It was founded in 2008 to offer world-class health care education in the Dominican culture.
During the program, you will take courses including but are not limited to patient-centered care, family-centered care, and nursing leadership & management.
The tuition fee for the BSN/AO is $7000 per semester and $50 per credit/per semester nursing program resources fee.
- A bachelor’s degree in any field of study with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 and fewer than five withdrawals, Ds, or Fs combined.
• A grade of C or higher in liberal arts, science, and other courses
• Letters of recommendation (2).
• Evidence of completion of all prerequisites.
ECPI University-Orlando, Lake Mary
Address: 660 Century Point, Suite 1050 Orlando (Lake Mary), FL 32746 United States
Website: Click here
ECPI University is a private non-profit university in Lake Mary. The nursing school at ECPI offers an engaging learning experience that leads to the award of various nursing degrees including associate, bachelor’s, Practical Nursing, and RN to BSN.
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- A cumulative science GPA of 2.75 or higher (A&P I and II with labs)
- ATI TEAS exam for candidates who tested after September 2016
- FDLE Background check
Prerequisite courses Required
- Anatomy and Physiology (8 semester credit hours/ 12 quarter credit hours, Parts I and II, with labs)
- Statistics (3 semester credit hours/ 4.5 quarter credit hours)
- Social Science: Sociology or Psychology (3 semester credit hours/ 4.5 quarter credit hours)
- Human Growth and Development or Developmental Psychology (3 semester credit hours/ 4.5 quarter credit hours)
- English (3 semester credit hours/ 4.5 quarter credit hours)
- Additional General Education Elective (11 semester credit hours / 16.5 quarter credit hours)
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton
Address: 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, FL 33431
Website: Visit here
The Accelerated BSN program at Florida Atlantic is offered by the Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing.
This program focuses on acute care nursing and nursing situations associated with psychiatric and mental health. The duration of the program is fifteen (15) months and it takes 60 credit hours (40 hours per week) to complete.
Upon successful completion, graduates go on to take the NCLEX-RN exam to become registered nurses. They can work in nursing homes, military facilities, and hospitals.
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Personal interview
Prerequisite courses required
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II with Lab
- Microbiology with Lab
- College Algebra or equivalent
- English Composition I & II
- Introduction Sociology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Human Growth & Development through Lifespan
- Chemistry with Lab
Florida International University, Miami
Address: Modesto A. Maidique Campus 11200 SW 8 Street – AHC 3 Miami, FL 33199
Website: Click here
The Accelerated BSN program at Florida International University is offered by the Nicole Wertheim College of Nursing & Health Sciences.
Here, graduates with bachelor’s degrees in other fields of study are offered intensive coursework tailored towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. The coursework includes Childbearing Nursing, Psychosocial Nursing, and Evidence-based Nursing and Research in Global Healthcare.
Students are admitted in the fall B session every year. The AO BSN program takes three (3) semesters to complete. Afterward, graduates take the NCLEX-RN exam and become licensed nurses. The AO/BSN program at FIU is among the top accelerated nursing programs in Florida.
If you are applying as a traditional student seeking the BSN/AO, you must:
- possess a bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- pass the ATI TEAS (Edition VI) exam
- complete a separate NursingCAS application for the Accelerated Option Track by the deadline date.
- complete prerequisite courses with a solid C or higher in Intro to Psychology, Intro to Ethics, Statistics, Human Growth & Development, Nutrition, Human Anatomy w/lab, Human Physiology w/lab, Intro to Microbiology w/lab, and Survey of Chemistry w/lab.
If you are applying as a foreign-educated physician seeking the BSN/AO, you must:
- possess a Doctor of Medicine degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and is awarded outside of the U.S.
- have a minimum of 550 (Paper-Based) or 80 (Internet-Based Test) TOEFL exam, or a minimum of 6.5 IELTS band score, or completion of ENC 1101 and 1102.
- not have obtained an RN license from a previous nursing program.
- complete prerequisite courses including HUN 2201 (Principles of Nutrition), DEP 2000 (Human Growth & Development), and Statistics.
Jacksonville University, Jacksonville
Address: 2800 University Blvd N Jacksonville, FL 32211
Phone: (904) 256-7000
The institution offers two Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) programs to students. These two AO/BSN programs equip students with the skills and knowledge required to meet the challenges of patient care.
The Accelerated BSN programs include the JU 16-Month Accelerated BSN and the Jacksonville University and Baptist Health 12-Month Second Degree BSN Program.
Under the JU 16-month AO/BSN program, students are offered coursework in a flexible manner by faculty staff thereby allowing them to combine classes and private affairs. It takes less than two (20 years to complete the program.
Jacksonville University (JU) offers two unique Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) programs that will prepare you to make a career change as quickly and efficiently as possible.
The entry requirements for both the 12-month and 16-month Accelerated BSN programs include:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale.
- Completion of prerequisite courses with a solid C or higher.
The prerequisite courses include:
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I with lab taken within the last 10 years (4 credits)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology II with lab taken within the last 10 years (4 credits)
- General Chemistry with lab (4 credits)
- Microbiology with lab (4 credits)
- Nutrition (3 credits)
- Human Growth & Development (3 credits)
- Statistics (3 credits)
Keiser University accelerated nursing
Address: 1500 Northwest 49th Street Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
Telephone: (800) 749-4456
Founded in 1977, Keiser University is a private university with its main campus in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Keiser University’s Accelerated BSN program is offered at the following Florida campuses including Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Lakeland, Melbourne, Miami, Naples, Orlando, Pembroke Pines, Port St. Lucie, Sarasota, Tallahassee, Tampa, West Palm Beach.
The AO/BSN program teaches aspiring nurses how to use evidence-based collaborative care to administer patient care to diverse patient populations in a variety of health care settings.
- A bachelor’s or graduate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or the 3.0 GPA in the last 60 credits of the degree.
- Completion of prerequisite courses with grade “B” or better in Human Anatomy & Physiology I, Human Anatomy & Physiology II, General Chemistry I, General Chemistry Lab, and Microbiology
- Complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) with a score of 67.
- Acceptable background check and drug screening
- Required health and immunizations screening
- Personal interview
University of Central Florida, Orlando
Address: 12201 Research Parkway, Suite 300 Orlando, Florida 32826
Website: Click here
The University of Central Florida (UCF) is a public research university and is one of the schools that offer accelerated nursing programs in Florida.
UCF offers the Second Degree BSN through the university’s College of Nursing. The Second Degree BSN is a four-semester full-time rigorous program whose curriculum involves service-learning courses with clinical rotations in various, medically underserved communities.
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
- Complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
- A grade “C” or higher in all prerequisite courses
University of South Florida, Tampa
Address: 12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd MDC Box 22 Tampa, FL 33612
The Accelerated Second Degree BSN at USF is offered by the College of Nursing. Here, students with a non-degree are offered a curriculum comprising of classroom education and clinical training. The coursework includes health assessment, wellness prevention across the life span, nursing care of women, children, and families, complex health nursing, and psychiatric mental health nursing.
It takes 16 months (four semesters) to complete the program. Afterward, graduates go on to take the NCLEX-RN exam in order to become licensed nurses.
- A non-nursing bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Complete the Civics Literacy exam before the intended term of entry.
- Completion of the Bull Nurse Virtual Interview Assessment.
- A verified NursingCAS application.
- Completion of the eight prerequisite courses with grade “C” or higher